Sunday, October 28, 2007

Work and Travel USA’07 (Working at Nathan's)

One fine morning, a week after I started working at the gift shop, I received a phone call from our manager, telling me that I'll be transfered to Nathan's (which is right next door to the gift shop). I freaked out. For me, that was not a good news by then because working in the gift shop is so relaxing and there's not risk of burning yourself. However, it was the manager's order. As an associate, I have no choice but to follow.

My new working place.

So, I have to start all over again, learning about the chores at a fast food outlet. Looking on the bright side, I get to learn new things.....again. First, I was put to the grill (not on the grill, but in charge of grilling the food), which is quite fun but you'll get hot and sweaty. On the grill, we make food like hotdogs, philly cheese steak, and chicken pitas.
Me, on the grill,just like Spongebob at Krusty Krab.

Peter, also put on the grill on his first day at work.


Next, learn how to make fries.


Peter and Marcin, playing with potatoes.


Although Nathan's Famous is famous for hotdogs, we also have other food like chicken and fish sandwiches, philly cheese steaks, chicken pita, hot dog nuggets, corn dogs and chicken wings on the menu.

We have a variety of sauces (ketchup, mustard, honey mustard, BBQ and sweet & sour), cheese, sauteed onions, sauerkraut and chili to go with the food. Well, the chili here is not the normal chili we Asians have. It is something made of minced burger meat, pepper and beans, and the Americans call it "chili". For me, it taste horribly sour and not spicy at all. I wonder, since there's absolutely no chilies in it, why did the Americans still call it the chili? Weird.


On the top is where we put our hotdog nuggets, corndog and chicken wings. At the bottom, we have lettuce and tomatoes, grilled chicken, buns and all sorts of sauces.



We also make coffee.

And that's only the front part of the concept. At the back, we have our kitchen.

Microwave oven to heat up frozen food.
We crinkle cut our fries from fresh potatoes daily.



After cleaning up everything by the end of the day, it's time to knock off.


On top of making food, my main role at Nathan's is also a cashier. For the following weeks, I work in both concepts (Gift Shop and Nathan's), which is good for me as I get more working hours.

Working at Nathan's isn't as bad as I expected. It is true that we burn ourselves sometimes, and it's busy as hell here at Nathan's during weekends and holidays. Even so, there are more people (young people) working here than the gift shop. This means making more friends and more people to talk to when business is slow. And the best part is...FREE FOOD. Ooooopppzz~

5 comments:

viony cho said...

wow~free food..
bt y u seems thinner aft gt bc frm US de??lol..
so McD is more delicious or Nathan's?

Anonymous said...

Nathan's; again was the only concept that i worked. Everythings in Nathan's just looked familier to me and i learnt almost everythings. That is the reason why they scheduled me in the morning to opened the concept. I must said there are a lot of stuff to prapare before open. There are included making coffee,soft pretzel,sub,salad,and fried stuff. After that grab the bank and than ready to open. I really freaked out when sunday because Oxy(One of the associate who worked in the back kitchen)was taking rest.

Anonymous said...

There were yogurt ice-cream;TCBY available when the first week i wroked. However it was broken and instead with other brand the week before i left....=< I must said, i do nothing with that mechine; just making ice-cream with the right way...it is true!!

Anonymous said...

u can't forget Spongebob can u...
-.-lll

Anonymous said...

u can't forget Spongebob can u...
-.-lll